Address : 506, 3rd EYE THREE (III), Opp. Induben Khakhrawala, Girish Cold Drink Cross Road, CG Road, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad, 380009.
Telephone : 079-40098991
Impact of DPDP Bill on RTI Act
News: This article can be read in continuation of DPDP Bill, 2023 which was covered recently. Please follow the link here https://dics.co/current-affairs/the-digital-personal-data-protection-bill-2023-upsc
How does the bill impact RTI act?
• The new data protection law changes a provision in the RTI Act to exempt “personal information” from being disclosed. This affects information sought under the RTI law.
• Activists and experts are concerned that the change will reduce transparency and hinder the ability to access information.
• The new law introduces a blanket ban on personal information, making it difficult to access information even if it relates to public activities or larger public interest.
• Public officials are expected to deny more RTI requests using the personal information exemption, affecting the availability of crucial information.
• While the change doesn’t affect the provision allowing access if public interest outweighs the harm, it shifts the burden to individuals seeking information to prove its public interest.