Address : 506, 3rd EYE THREE (III), Opp. Induben Khakhrawala, Girish Cold Drink Cross Road, CG Road, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad, 380009.
Telephone : 079-40098991
Seed Village Programme
News: The govt is implementing Seed Village Programme (Beej Gram Yojana) since 2014-15 to upgrade the quality of farmers’ saved seeds.
• Seed village is a village, wherein a trained group of farmers are involved in the production of seeds of various crops and cater to their needs themselves. Seed Village Programme aims at upgrading the quality of farm-saved seeds.Under this, financial assistance is available for up to one acre per farmer for distribution of foundation/certified seeds at:
• 50% of seed cost for cereal crops
• 60% for pulses, oilseeds, fodder, and green manure crops
Objectives of the program include:
• Increasing the seed production
• Increasing the seed replacement rate
• Organizing seed production in cluster (or) compact area replacing existing local varieties with new high yielding varieties
• Self-sufficiency and self-reliance of the village
The present program of seed village scheme is having two phases:
• The area which is suitable for raising a particular crop will be selected, and raised with a single variety of a kind.
• If the seeds are not processed and handled properly, all the past efforts in production may be lost.
Thus seed processing and packaging is a very important aspect of seed production.
• Seed is available at the doorsteps of farms at an appropriate time.
• Seeds are available at affordable costs even lesser than the market price.
• It has increased the confidence among the farmers about the quality because of known sources of production.
• It facilitates the fast spread of new cultivars of different kinds.
|Seed Replacement Rate
• It is the percentage of area sown out of the total area of the crop planted in the season by using certified/quality seeds other than the farm-saved seed.
• In simple terms, it is a measure of the cropped area covered with quality seed.