Address : 506, 3rd EYE THREE (III), Opp. Induben Khakhrawala, Girish Cold Drink Cross Road, CG Road, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad, 380009.
Telephone : 079-40098991
News: Project Sampoorna’s success in reducing child malnutrition is a model that can be easily implemented anywhere.
What is Project Sampoorna?
• Project Sampoorna has been implemented in the Bongaigaon district of Assam.It aims to target Severe Acute Malnutrition (SAM) and Moderate Acute Malnutrition (MAM).It was launched to target the mothers of SAM/ MAM children with the tagline being ‘Empowered Mothers, Healthy Children’.
• It was based on the success of the community-based COVID-19 management model (Project MiliJuli).
• Under this project, the mother of a healthy child of an Anganwadi Centre was paired with the target mother and they would be Buddy Mothers.
• They were usually neighbours and shared similar socioeconomic backgrounds.They were given diet charts to indicate the daily food intake of their children and would have discussions on all Tuesdays at the Anganwadi centres.100 millilitres of milk and an egg on alternate days for the children for the first 3 months were provided so that their mothers could stabilise themselves in the newly found jobs.
• Children who had not improved were checked and treated by doctors under the Rashtriya Bal SwasthyaKaryakram (RBSK).
• This project has prevented at least 1,200 children from becoming malnourished over the last year.
• National Nutrition Mission and the State government recognised this project in the ‘Innovation Category’.
• The mothers were enrolled in Self Help Groups (SHGs) under the National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM) and were thus working.