Address : 506, 3rd EYE THREE (III), Opp. Induben Khakhrawala, Girish Cold Drink Cross Road, CG Road, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad, 380009.
Telephone : 079-40098991
India’s jet engine deal with US – Why it matters?
News: American firm General Electric Thursday announced signing of an MoU with India’s state-run Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) to jointly produce fighter jet engines for the Indian Air Force (IAF) with “significant amount of transfer of technology and work being done indigenously.”
What is GE’s F414 engine?
• F414 is a part of General Electric’s(GE’s) suite of military aircraft engines. It has been in use by the US Navy for more than 30 years.
• The F414 is a reliable and powerful engine that is well-suited for use in a variety of fighter aircraft.
Why is the deal significant?
• The deal is a sign of the deepening strategic partnership between India and the US, especially in the defence and high-tech sectors.
• The deal involves the transfer of critical technology from GE Aerospace to HAL for the joint production of F414 engines in India. This will enable India to acquire advanced capabilities and skills in the design, development, and manufacture of jet engines, which are considered as one of the most complex and sophisticated technologies in the world.
• The deal will provide a boost to India’s indigenous fighter jet program, as the F414 engines will power the LCA Tejas Mk-II. The F414 engines are also compatible with India’s proposed Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA), which is envisioned as a 5th generation stealth fighter.
• The USA hasn’t shared technical details of these engines with even their allies. Considering this and the fact that not less than 25 years ago India was sanctioned by USA this deal paves way for significant advancement in relationship of both the nations.
• The deal will help India achieve greater self-reliance and security in the defence sector.
• It will also enhance India’s operational readiness and deterrence capability against potential adversaries such as China and Pakistan.
Source – cnbcTV18.com, The Hindu