Address : 506, 3rd EYE THREE (III), Opp. Induben Khakhrawala, Girish Cold Drink Cross Road, CG Road, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad, 380009.
Telephone : 079-40098991
Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar (RVP) Awards 2023
News: The Department of Science and Technology has proposed the constitution of a new Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar which will be the highest recognition in the field of science, technology, and innovation in India.
• A Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar Committee (RVPC), constituted by the Science minister, and chaired by the Principal Scientific Advisor to the government, will recommend names for the award from the nominations placed before it.
• The Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar Committee will comprise secretaries of the six departments and related ministries — the Department of Science and Technology, the Department of Biotechnology, the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, the Ministry of Earth Sciences, the Department of Space and the Department of Atomic Energy.
• The Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar Committee will also have six scientists and technologists from different fields of science and technology, along with four presidents of science and engineering academies.
• There will be a total of 56 Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar awards, comprising 3 Vigyan Ratna awards, 25 Vigyan Shri awards, 25 Vigyan Yuva-Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar awards, and 3 Vigyan Team awards.
• The awards will commence in 2024 and it will be announced annually on May 11, which is National Technology Day, and will be awarded on National Space Day, August 23.
• Eligibility - The awards will be open to Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs), with a maximum of one PIO eligible for the Vigyan Ratna award, and three PIOs each eligible for the Vigyan Shri and VY-SSB awards.
• It will also allow candidates to nominate themselves.
• The Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar award will be conferred by the President of India or the Vice President.
• The awards will be akin to the prestigious Padma awards, with no cash component; instead, awardees will receive a certificate and medallion.
• However, the National Technology Awards, given to teams by the Technology Development Board (a DST entity), also include cash prizes worth ₹25 lakh.
• The RVP will be given in the following 13 domains - Physics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Mathematics and Computer Science, Earth Science, Medicine, Engineering Sciences, Agricultural Science, Environmental Science, Technology and Innovation, Atomic energy, Space Science and Technology