Address : 506, 3rd EYE THREE (III), Opp. Induben Khakhrawala, Girish Cold Drink Cross Road, CG Road, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad, 380009.
Telephone : 079-40098991
Facts for Prelims
Panel of Vice-Chairpersons
News: Recently, for first time in the history of the Rajya Sabha, the Chairman has nominated four women parliamentarians to the panel of vice-chairpersons, giving women equal representation in the panel.
What is the Panel of Vice-Chairpersons?
• Under the Rules of Rajya Sabha, the Chairman nominates from amongst the members a panel of vicechairpersons.
• Any one of the members of the Panel of Vice-Chairpersons can preside over the House in the absence of the Chairman or the Deputy Chairman. He has the same powers as the Chairman when so presiding. He holds office until a new panel of vice-chairpersons is nominated.
• When a member of the panel of vice chairpersons is also not present, any other person as determined by the House acts as the Chairman.
• However, it must important to know that a member of the panel of vice chairpersons cannot preside over the House, when the office of the Chairman or the Deputy Chairman is vacant.
• During such time, the Chairman’s duties are to be performed by such member of the House as the president may appoint for the purpose. The elections are held, as soon as possible, to fill the vacant posts.