Address : 506, 3rd EYE THREE (III), Opp. Induben Khakhrawala, Girish Cold Drink Cross Road, CG Road, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad, 380009.
Telephone : 079-40098991
Facts for Prelims
News: Matti banana was recently granted the Geographical Indication (GI) tag.
What is Matti Banana?
• Matti banana is a special variety of banana that grows only in Kanniyakumari district of Tamil Nadu, India. It is also known as Baby Banana because of its small size and shape.
• Matti banana has a unique fragrance and taste that cannot be replicated in other regions. It is considered a delicacy and a cultural symbol in Kanniyakumari.
• The Matti banana flourishes due to the area’s special conditions, producing a slightly largerthan-human finger-sized fruit with a sweet
fragrance and honey-like taste that can’t be replicated elsewhere.
• A hybrid, Semmati, is a mix of Matti and Red banana, possessing qualities beneficial for child growth and even suitable for diabetics.
• The uniqueness of the Matti banana is attributed to a combination of factors including humidity, water, temperature, soil composition, and nutrient balance.
• Experts highlight the significance of the Genotype-Environment-Microbiome interaction (G×ExM) for gene expression, underscoring the importance of the environment in shaping genetic traits. The distinctiveness of the Matti banana arises from a complex interplay of factors, making it difficult to reproduce its qualities in other areas with a single factor.