Context: International Women’s Day on 8th March.
Schemes by Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship:
- The Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) is implementing Pradhan Mantri YUVA (PM YUVA) Yojana, a pilot scheme, for creating an enabling ecosystem through entrepreneurship education, training, advocacy and easy access to entrepreneurship network.
- The scheme covers 10 States and 2 Union Territories (viz. i.e. Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Bihar, West Bengal, Assam, Meghalaya, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Kerala, Delhi and Puducherry).
- To encourage women entrepreneurship within the Country, Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) is implementing the pilot project, ‘Economic Empowerment of Women Entrepreneurs and Startups by Women’ in collaboration with Deutsche Gesellschaftfür Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) Germany.
- The project pilots incubation and acceleration programmes for women micro entrepreneurs to start new businesses and scale up existing enterprises in Assam, Rajasthan and Telangana.
- The project has the target to pilot the incubation programme with 250 women and the acceleration programme with 100 women. The first cohort of the support programme ended in April-May, 2020 and the second cohort has commenced in July, 2020.
Schemes by Ministry of MSME:
- Further, Govt. of India through Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) is implementing the Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP), which has the target to generate self-employment opportunities through establishment of micro enterprises for non-farm sector.
- The maximum cost of projects covered under the Scheme is Rs. 25 lakh in the manufacturing sector and Rs. 10 lakh in the service sector.
- Benefit can be availed under PMEGP for setting up of new units only. For beneficiaries belonging to special categories (such as Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe/OBC /minorities/women, ex-serviceman, physically handicapped, NER, Hill and Border areas, etc.), the margin money subsidy is 35% in rural areas and 25% in urban areas.
Schemes by Ministry of Rural Development:
- Furthermore, Ministry of Rural Development is implementing Skill development program through Rural Self Employment Training Institutes (RSETIs) enabling a trainee to take Bank credit and start his/her own Micro-enterprise.
- RSETIs is a Bank led initiative of Ministry of Rural Development, set up with dedicated infrastructure in each district of the country sponsored, managed and run by Banks with active co-operation from the Government of India and State Government.
- Presently 585 RSETIs are functional in 27 states (except Goa) and 6 UTs (except Delhi, Chandigarh and Daman & Diu). The scheme is applicable to all the categories including women.
- Any unemployed youth in the age group of 18-45 years, irrespective of caste, creed, religion, gender and economic status, having aptitude to take up self-employment or wage employment and having some basic knowledge in the related field can undergo training under RSETI.