News: For effective implementation of various schemes and programmes of the Ministry of Women and Child Development, all major schemes of the Ministry have been classified under 3 umbrella schemes viz. Mission Poshan 2.0, Mission Vatsalya and Mission Shakti.
- Women and Children constitute 67.7% of India’s population as per the 2011 census. Empowerment and protection of women and children and ensuring their wholesome development is crucial for sustainable and equitable development of the country.
- Ministry of Women and Child Development strives to ensure well-nourished and happy children growing in a safe and secure environment and empower women by providing them with an environment which is accessible, affordable, reliable and free from all forms of discrimination and violence.
- The prime objective of the Ministry is to address gaps in State action for women and children and to promote inter-ministerial and inter- sectoral convergence to create gender equitable and child centred legislation, policies and programmes.
Pivotal role played by Women:
- The Constitution of the country has granted equal rights to women and men in terms of freedom and opportunity.
- To enable the woman to be the author of her destiny, a life-cycle continuum approach is being adopted that creates an ecosystem that addresses inherent biases and role plays, protects and upholds the rights and dignity of women and equips them with necessary skill sets and instills confidence in them to forge their way ahead.
- Safety, security and dignity of women are of paramount importance for Government. Hence, there is a need to create an inclusive society where women and girls have equal access to resources and opportunities, enabling them to participate in the social, economic and political development of India.
- Women are key agents for achieving transformational economic, environmental and social changes required for sustainable development.
- To achieve this objective, continuation of existing schemes with suitable modifications is inevitable and necessary which can be achieved through Mission Shakti.
- Children are the future of our country. Well-being of children is essential for the country’s development as they contribute to the future human resource of the country.
- To strengthen nutritional content, delivery, outreach, and outcomes, Government is merging the Supplementary Nutrition Programme and Poshan Abhiyan to launch Mission POSHAN 2.0.
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development has taken many initiatives to ensure safety and well-being of children. Mission VATSALYA will ensure the same going ahead.
|S.No.||Umbrella Scheme||Schemes included|
|1.||Saksham Anganwadi and POSHAN 2.0||Umbrella ICDS – Anganwadi Services, Poshan Abhiyan, Scheme for Adolescent Girls, National Creche Scheme|
|2.||Mission VATSALYA||Child Protection Services and Child Welfare Services|
|3.||Mission Shakti (Mission for Protection and Empowerment for Women)||SAMBAL (One Stop Centre, Mahila Police Volunteer, Women’s Helpline/Swadhar/Ujjawala/Widow Homes etc.)|
SAMARTHYA (Beti Bachao Beti Padhao, Creche, Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana/ Gender Budgeting/Research/