News: Ministry of Culture organised various programmes at several places on ‘Shaheedi Diwas’ today as a grateful nation proudly remembered the exceptional courage &martyrdom of Shaheed Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev.
- 23rdMarch is the day when revolutionary freedom fighters Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev were hanged to death by the British government in 1931 at the Lahore Jail.
- They were hanged for their involvement in the assassination of the ASP of Lahore, John Saunders.
Contributions of Bhagat Singh:
- To get rid of the British rulers and to end exploitation Bhagat Singh was one of the youths who opted for a violent way. He led such type of revolutionists.
- Under Bhagat Singh’s leadership in 1928 the freedom fighters established the Hindustan Republican Association. Furthermore, revolutionary activities were also undertaken under Bhagat Singh’s leadership.
- Among them Saunder’s murder and assembly bombing incident were the main. The revolutionists created a lot of hurdles for the British Government.
- They undertook revolutionary activities like robberies, killing of unpopular officials.
- They believed in sacrifice for the cause of nation. Bhagat Singh produced the example of sacrifice for Purna Swaraj which has always been an encouragement for all Indians.
- Their way, especially that of the group led by Bhagat Singh created a new wave of national spirit among people when there was an environment of soothing struggle. Youth as well as other ages were inspired by his heroic acts.
- He did not only create an unvisioned violence but he was really a visionary of exploitation-less world order. His ideas and act inspired people as well as leaders.
- On the eve of his execution, even British officials like Lord Irwin was afraid that nation may rose in a huge protest. Even Ghandhiji was given an insulting welcome on his way to Karachi by showing black flags.
- This was a person who not only created violence but also violated the belief of British rule that they will be able to rule India easily.