News: The GoI, the State Governments of Karnataka and Odisha, and the World Bank have signed a $115 million for the REWARD Project.
What is REWARD Program?
- REWARD stands for Rejuvenating Watersheds for Agricultural Resilience through Innovative Development.
- The project aims to help national and state institutions adopt improved watershed management practices to help increase farmers’ resilience to climate change, promote higher productivity and better incomes.
- REWARD is being implemented in three to four Indian States. It is proposed as a 6 years Project.
- The outcomes are prevention of soil run-off, regeneration of natural vegetation, rainwater harvesting and recharging of the groundwater table.
- This enables multi-cropping and the introduction of diverse agro-based activities, which help to provide sustainable livelihoods to the people residing in the watershed area.