News: Setting up of 22 new regional AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Sciences) has been approved under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) so far.
- PMSSY was announced in 2003 with objectives of correcting regional imbalances in the availability of affordable/ reliable tertiary healthcare services and also to augment facilities for quality medical education in the country.
- The PMSSY is implemented by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- It has two components:
- Setting up new AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Sciences).
- Upgradation of government medical colleges in various states.
- The project cost for upgradation of each medical college institution is shared by the Centre and the state.