News: PM Cares for Children Scheme has been extended till February 28, 2022. The scheme was earlier valid till December 31, 2021.
- Launched in May 2021. The scheme has been launched for support & empowerment of Covid affected children. All children who have lost both parents or surviving parent or legal guardian/adoptive parents due to Covid 19 will be supported under the scheme. Children must not have completed 18 years of age at the time of the death of their parents in order to be eligible for the scheme.
- A corpus of Rs 10 lakh for each child when he or she reaches 18 years of age.
- Admission will be given in the nearest Kendriya Vidyalaya or in a private school as a day scholar.
- The child will be given admission in any Central Government residential school such as Sainik School, Navodaya Vidyalaya etc.
- The child will be assisted in obtaining an education loan for Professional courses / Higher Education in India as per the existing Education Loan norms.
- All children will be enrolled as a beneficiary under Ayushman Bharat Scheme (PM-JAY) with a health insurance cover of Rs 5 lakhs.