News: The Ministry of Women and Child Development will set up One Stop Centres (OSCs) across 10 countries to provide assistance to Indian women who are survivors of gender-based violence. The missions where the OSCs will come up are Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Oman, UAE, Jeddah and Riyadh in Saudi Arabia, Australia, Canada and Singapore. It will also set up 300 OSCs in the country in addition to the nearly 700 existing ones across all districts.
About the scheme:
- Popularly known as Sakhi, Ministry of Women and Child Development (MWCD) has formulated this Centrally Sponsored Scheme. It is a sub – scheme of Umbrella Scheme for National Mission for Empowerment of women.
- The OSC will support all women including girls below 18 years of age affected by violence, irrespective of caste, class, religion, region, sexual orientation or marital status.
- The Centres will be integrated with a Women Helpline to facilitate access to following services:
- Emergency response and rescue services.
- Medical assistance.
- Assistance to women in lodging the FIR.
- Psycho- social support and counselling.
- Legal aid and counselling.
- Video conferencing facility.
- The Scheme will be funded through Nirbhaya Fund. The Central Government will provide 100% financial assistance to the State Government /UT Administrations under the Scheme.
- Audit will be done as per Comptroller & Auditor General of India norms and social audit will also be undertaken by civil society groups.