News: The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has greeted the people on the occasion of Navroz. Navroz is the new year celebrations for Parsis (Zoroastrians) and Muslims (both Shia and Sunni).
About Navroz Festival
- It is celebrated on 21st March every year. In 1079 AD, a Persian (Iranian) king named Jalaluddin Malekshah introduced this festival to generate revenue and collect taxes from people.
- It was observed on March 21 to mark the beginning of spring and the day of equinox.
- The equinoxes are the only time when both the Northern and Southern Hemisphere experience roughly equal amounts of daytime and nighttime.
- The equinoxes happen in March (about March 21) and September (about September 23). These are the days when the Sun is exactly above the Equator, which makes day and night of equal length.
- March equinox is also known as vernal or spring equinox and the September equinox is also known as autumnal or fall equinox.
- It is inscribed in the list of UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity of India. In India it is known as Jamshed Navroz.