News: Indian Footwear and Leather Development Programme (IFLDP) has been approved for continuation from 2021-22 with an approved financial outlay of Rs. 1700 crore.
- IFLDP has been approved by the Union Cabinet as continuation of the erstwhile IFLADP (Indian Footwear Leather and Accessories Development Programme) till 31st March 2026 or till further review, whichever is earlier. The IFLADP was announced with an expenditure of Rs. 2,600 crore for three financial years – 2017-18 to 2019-20.
- It is a Central Sector Scheme, which aims at development of infrastructure for the leather sector, address environmental concerns specific to the leather sector, facilitate additional investments, employment generation and increase in production.
- Sub-schemes approved under the programme include:
- Sustainable technology and environmental promotion; Integrated Development of Leather Sector (IDLS); establishment of institutional facilities; Mega Leather Footwear and Accessories Cluster Development; brand promotion; and development of design studios.
- Development of design studios (proposed outlay Rs 100 crore) is a new sub-scheme and it would promote marketing/export linkages, facilitate buyer- seller meets, display designs to international buyers and work as interface for the trade fairs.