News: The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi addressed the opening ceremony of International Conference on Disaster Resilient Infrastructure.
Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure:
- The Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure is a partnership between national governments, United Nations programmes and agencies, development banks, academic institutions and the private sector.
- The objective of the coalition is to address challenges related to building resilience into infrastructure systems and associated developments.
- It promotes the resilience of new and existing infrastructure systems to climate and disaster risks in support of sustainable development. Developed through consultations with more than 35 countries, CDRI targets a measurable reduction in infrastructure losses from disasters.
- CDRI supports the expeditious development of resilient infrastructure in response to the Sustainable Development Goals’ necessities of extending universal access to basic services, facilitating prosperity and decent work. It will work towards standardisation of designs, processes and regulations relating to infrastructure creation and management.
- The CDRI is a partnership between national governments and other agencies and not based on rights and obligations. It may be noted that the decisions, policies and standards of the coalition are not binding on the members.
- The CDRI was launched by Prime Minister Modi in September 2019 at the UN Climate Action Summit.
- The idea behind the CDRI was announced by Mr Modi in 2016 at the Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (AMCDRR).
- There, he declared India’s intention to work with partner countries and important stakeholders to create a coalition to work towards the ambition of improving the disaster resilience of infrastructure.
- It is a platform for knowledge generation and exchange and will also develop country-specific as well as global plans.
- CDRI will give member countries technical support and capacity development, research and knowledge management, and advocacy and partnerships to enable and boost investment in disaster-resilient infrastructure systems.